Loyola bicycle auction racks up

With the relatively high demand for bikes and relatively low supply of bikes, many students had mixed feelings about the annual bike auction, held by University Police.

The bike auction began at 9 a.m. on Sept. 21 in the Freret Street Parking Garage on the fourth floor. Potential bidders were welcomed to view the bikes beginning an hour before the auction started.

Angela Honora, crime prevention and logistics coordinator, said there were a lot more people than bikes at this year’s bike auction. 27 were for sale, and all were purchased.

Students share mixed feelings about the recent bicycle auction.

Andrew Spalt, business management sophomore, went looking for a bike for practical and recreational purposes, but he did not leave with a bike.

“I didn’t purchase a bike, because of the fact that there were too many people at the auction, prices ran up quick. Most of the bikes sold were not worth what they were purchased for,” Spalt said.

Maggie Mitchell, religious studies senior, agreed that bikes were selling above their value.

“A bike I bought in the past on Craigslist was nicer and cheaper than many of the bikes I saw at the auction,” Mitchell said.

Danielle Rissky, mass communication freshman, said she purchased her bike in good condition, with only a missing chain, for $76.

“I am very happy with my purchase. It’s a relatively new bike with almost no damage. I went to the Bike Shop on Freret and they did all the repairs it needed for $24,” Rissky said.

The revenue from campus bike auctions are put toward the maintenance of the Loyola University Police Officers’ bikes, Honora said.

Lauren Cutuli can be reached at [email protected]