Students speak on elections

Students are beginning to talk about the upcoming Student Government Association.

Many are wondering who will be running, who will be chosen and whether or not the new governing body will be drastically different or the same as the last.

Though the names of those running will not be released until April 3, students are still talking about what they would like to see in the upcoming government.

“The last student government did a really good job with making themselves visible and catering to students’ needs. If the next government can keep that up, it would be great,” said Michelle Rau, psychology junior.

Students like Apolline Croze, music industry studies sophomore, are hoping the next SGA will keep proactive programs like the airport busing program and would also like the presidential and vice presidential candidates to continue voicing new thoughts.

“It was an amazing idea,” Croze said. “A lot of my friends really appreciated it.”

On the other hand, other students are patiently waiting to see some new changes.

“SGA needs to be more open to the student body’s suggestions and opinions,” said Jonathan Lewis, criminal justice junior. “I would like to see a better relationship with student organizations and the student body as a whole.”

Lewis also thinks SGA should devise a plan to better help students in need.

He suggested textbook incentives or even beginning a SGA scholarship program that gives a certain amount of money to a student(s) based on requirements like upholding a certain GPA, being involved, achieving certain goals on campus or within the community, etc.

Many students would also like to see the promotion of more events on campus.

“Maybe SGA should have more events to promote sports that get students to go to games,” said Dylan Kremer, finance junior and basketball player. Kremer also wants to see more student activities around campus to get students involved and meet each other.

Some students like Uriel Carrasco, music industry studies sophomore, would like to know more about what is going on in SGA.

He would like the next president and vice president to remind students about the weekly meetings, encourage them to come and even post SGA’s minutes on its website for students that have conflicting schedules with those meetings.

In speaking with all the students, their thoughts about the president and vice president were similar in one way or another.

All would like to see candidates who are dedicated, have a listening ear, and are unbiased and honest.

Sable Lefrere can be reached at

[email protected]