The right time to give

At Issue: Senior gift an aesthetic, not financial, contribution to Loyola

Nearly a year after administrators announced “Pathways,” blood still boils and anger still runs high among some students when the controversial plan becomes a topic of conversation. Understandably, some seniors who came to Loyola four years ago to obtain a degree in what will become defunct major programs – and some seniors in general – feel a sense of betrayal by the lack of conversation on the part of administrators before the rapid cutting of programs for what seemed to be arbitrary reasons.

Because of the strained tensions between students and the university, it’s understandable that when Loyola asks for money from graduation seniors, some venom may be spewed – even if it’s for the traditional senior gift.

Student organizers of the senior gift campaign have said some students have told them they will not be donating money to Loyola. And that’s true, donating money to the senior gift campaign is not donating money to Loyola.

Despite the fact that fundraising in done through the Annual Fund, the money raised for the senior gift goes solely to the Senior Gift Fund.

While the past year has been rough on everyone at Loyola, with well-known programs being cut or suspended, friends leaving with their majors and professors finding themselves terminated, the idea behind donating to the Senior Gift Fund is not a way to support Loyola financially.

Several palm trees in the Palm Court, the Loyola seal next to Marquette Hall and the stepping stones in the Peace Quad are among some previous senior glass gifts. Loyola has received no gain other than a more aesthetically pleasing campus from these gifts. On the contrary, students who donated money for the implementation of these gifts get more of a step back on campus. Though simple in nature, the gifts are a way to remind alumni and administrators about a specific class’ four years. And that might be the best thing for angry soon-to-be-alumni.

It’s inevitable that at some point you’ll receive a phone call or letter asking for a monetary donation to Loyola. It’s then, if the anger still persists, that you can kindly reply you’ve already made your donation to Loyola, and thank them for their time.

The senior gift is a reminder of four mainly good years, not a relatively short time span of change.