Religious studies majors increase in numbers

The number of religious studies students is on the rise, and the reasons behind it vary as greatly as the religions taught.

Compared to only four students either majoring or minoring in religious studies before 2001, 14 religious studies majors or minors are graduating in spring 2011, according to Office of Institutional Research.

Timothy Cahill, chairman of the religious studies department, said it is an exciting time to be in the field of religion.

“Nationally, this trend started shortly after the 9/11 attacks,” Cahill said. “The greater significance of religion in general and with respect to international affairs in particular has piqued interest in the study of religions.”

Students’ interests range from advocating immigrant rights to simply liking the courses offered.

Charles Bourg, religious studies freshman, wants to understand his own religion so he can explain it to others.

“I want to pursue a career in religious education, as a teacher or as a Jesuit,” Bourg said. “Some people may not see religious studies as a steady future to take. They think it’s a limited field, but it’s not.”

Calvin Monley, an English senior with a Catholic studies minor, said he could be a high school teacher, university professor or even an advocate for immigrants’ rights.

“I think the Catholic Church fights against discrimination, and that’s what I want to do,” Monley said.

Cardinal Seawell, world religions sophomore, wants to be a missionary in Africa.

“I feel like having a better understanding of various religions would help me in the missionary field,” Seawell said. “And I am really interested in the courses I am taking, like Jewish Mysticism and Synoptic Gospels.”

Andrew Naquin, world religions junior, said he wants to pursue a master’s degree in theology and then teach.

“I was a music industry major, and I changed my major because of University Ministry,” Naquin said. “I think University Ministry has a lot to do with the increasing number of religious studies majors and minors. For example, there is Awakening retreat and so many other events that introduce you to other religions.”

About half of religious studies majors transfer into the department after dropping a major elsewhere, Cahill said.

“It is very rewarding to learn that students from our department succeed in so many different walks of life,” Cahill said. “We currently have about a dozen graduates who teach in colleges and universities around the country or who make their living by publishing books about religion.”

Zainab Aziz can be reached at

[email protected]