Class visits largest jade Buddha

The+world%E2%80%99s+largest+Jade+Buddha+is+on+its+first+world+tour+and+is+currently+being+exhibited+in+Gretna.+Students+in+Timothy+Cahill%E2%80%99s+Buddhism+class+traveled+there+to+observe+the+unveiling+ceremony+on+April+21.++
ELLEN WALKER/Contributing Photographer
The world’s largest Jade Buddha is on its first world tour and is currently being exhibited in Gretna. Students in Timothy Cahill’s Buddhism class traveled there to observe the unveiling ceremony on April 21.

Loyola students witnessed the first unveiling of the world’s largest jade Buddha during a Buddhist ceremony at a Gretna temple April 21.

Some students attended the Jade Buddha for Universal Peace’s first world tour at Lien Hoa Temple in Gretna. They were among the 5,000 viewers who experienced the unveiling of the icon of the founder of Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama.

As part of their Buddhism class, the students saw the 8-foot-tall symbol of universal peace as is recognized by Buddhists. The jade Buddha was sculpted with four tons of jade stone by one of the most historic groups of Thai sculptors, Jade Thongtavee. The statue is a representation of Buddha in a traditional stupa in India.

Timothy Cahill, religious studies department director and instructor of the class, said this was an opportunity to expose students to Buddhist concepts and rituals beyond what is taught in the classroom.

“By asking their own questions, students were able to evaluate what the ceremony meant to various people and they could follow up on issues that especially interested them,” Cahill said.

Edward Seyler, music industry business senior, said he enjoyed the opportunity to meet monks.

“Discussing Buddhism with a monk, whose entire life revolves around Buddhism, was very enlightening. My discussion exposed me to someone who knows this religion not from a textbook, but rather from a life immersed in Buddhism,” Seyler said.

Some knelt and prayed to the jade Buddha while others took pictures and enjoyed the Vietnamese food and festivities at the event.

Jeffrey Muir, English senior, said the event was different from the Catholic Church ceremonies he has attended.

“It was interesting because I grew up in Catholicism and my concept of a worship service is more regimented… The fact that people could come and go and take pictures with an object of veneration was surprising,” Muir said.

For many students, this was their first Buddhist ceremony. Now, some said they want to visit other religious establishments and take more religious studies courses.

John Fleenor, mass communication sophomore, said it was a chance for him to get better acquainted with a Buddhist ceremony.

“I want to continue to see other temples and support those communities, and I think next time I will get more out of it, because I feel more comfortable,” Fleenor said.

Students will be presenting their thoughts on the ceremony during exam week.

The jade Buddha world tour will finish in Australia, where the statue will ultimately reside.

Nhi Tieu can be reached at