‘Pack denied spot in NAIA tourney

21-11 record, upset of No. 12 Xavier not enough to sway voters
    Music business junior Kate Pilgreen releases a jump shot against SUNO in the GCAC quarterfinals at the Alario Center. The ´Pack won 71-54 before losing in the finals.
    Ignacio Chacon

Confidence is not something to expect from a team whose season ended without a trip to the national tournament in Jackson, Tenn.

But that’s how the Loyola women’s basketball team feels about next year.

Despite a 21-11 record and a second place finish in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference tournament, the ‘Pack was not selected as part of the 32-team field in the national tournament, which began on Wednesday.

“I think we deserve to be in (the national tournament),” general studies freshman Kiely Schork said. “We’re a good team, better than some of the teams that are in the tournament right now.”

Although the team is disappointed not to be playing in the national tournament, team members are anticipating next season.

“I think it’s (not making the tournament) going to make us stronger,” criminal justice freshman Dani Holland said. “Two weeks after the season, we’re already lifting weights. We’re ready for next year.”

Holland said that she found out about not making the tournament along with some of her teammates while they were sitting on the couches in the Orleans Room. She said that next year will be a different story.

“We know we’re going to make it next year,” Holland said.

Initially, the team was upset not to be moving on.

“I was very disappointed,” Schork said. “I took a test the next period [after finding out], and all I thought about was that we deserved to be in but got denied.”

Sociology junior Joelle Bordelon said that she felt especially bad for her teammates.

“Throughout the year, we’ve been through so much together,” Bordelon said. “We worked so hard and had a common goal. It’s not that we fell short but that we got denied.”

Because Loyola’s five votes in the final national rankings were disqualified, the team had none. Then, the selection committee passed on inviting the ‘Pack to the national tournament.

The team could have received an automatic berth by winning the GCAC tournament. But the team lost in the championship on March 6 to No. 20 Dillard 72-59.

The team defeated SUNO 71-54 in the quarterfinals March 4 and No. 12 Xavier the next night in the semifinals. The 77-74 victory was the first in the history of Loyola’s program over the Gold Nuggets.

Bordelon, who finished with 16 points and seven assists, made a lay-up to give the Wolfpack a 76-74 lead in the final minute of play. Holland had 22 points and 10 rebounds.

Against Dillard, Loyola cut the Blue Devil lead to 53-49 with 5:01 remaining in the game. But Dillard scored the next 11 points to quiet a Loyola rally and hopes of a tournament championship.

Finance freshman Marjorie Bilinski led all scorers in the game with 19 points.

The season was one of firsts for the women’s team, except for its first trip to nationals.

The ‘Pack broke the season record for wins (21) and GCAC regular season victories (10). The team reached the tournament semifinals and finals for the first time.

Schork broke the GCAC record for 3-pointers in a season with 118. That mark led the entire nation.

Holland and Bordelon finished second in the nation in rebounds and assists, respectively. Bilinski was chosen GCAC freshman of the year and was selected to the all-GCAC team.

The records and stats did not help Loyola make the national tournament.

“I don’t want to make excuses,” Holland said. “Coach DoBee (Plaisance) told us that maybe it wasn’t meant to be this year. It will only make us better for next year.”

Bordelon gave fair warning to the top teams in the country.

“We have some more people coming in, and we’re going to pick up where we left off,” she said. “Nationals better watch out next year.”

Gene Guillot can be reached at [email protected].