New dining options come to Loyola

Students+stand+in+line+for+new+dining+options+in+the+Danna+Student+Center.+
SARA FELDMAN /Senior Staff Photographer
Students stand in line for new dining options in the Danna Student Center.

Many noticeable changes were made to Uptown Campus Dining on Loyola’s and Tulane’s campuses during summer 2013.

Multiple new on-campus dining options opened on August 24 on Loyola’s campus after a survey concluded students, staff and faculty wanted changes to their dining experience, according to Robert Reed, assistant vice president for student affairs.

Heather Bacque, Sodexo General Manager, said five eateries have substituted the space known as Flambeaux’s.

The restaurants now make up the “Danna Center Food Court.” A contest may be developed soon for students to rename the food court she said.

The food court will have The Sweet Shop, Smoothie King, The Original Burger Company, Subway and AFC Southern Tsunami Sushi, she said

To solve the lack of late night options available on campus for students, Sodexo’s Uptown Campus Dining are in the process of developing a co-op with My House Nola to bring food trucks to Loyola’s campus, she said.

Three to four food truck options will be available starting in September, and will rotate throughout the year, however, a complete list of names has yet to be announced.

“Sodexo wanted to add variety in the late night and thought it would be fun to use local food truck companies to help us achieve that,” Bacque said.

The food trucks will be on campus on Thursday, Friday and Saturday opening at midnight and closing at 3 a.m. The trucks will be located near the University Sports Complex on West Road.

The payment options are only cash or credit cards,Bacque said. There are no plans to allow students to pay with Wolfbucks at this time.

According to Katie Crow, Sodexo marketing manager, Loyola’s Orleans Room offers new options this year as well.

Sodexo will introduce national programs including Mindful, labeling healthy choices with nutritional information and an “umbrella” program called “Fresh2 ” attempting to bring a variety of options to otherwise regular stations, she said.

“If they’re educated then it is hard to make the wrong decision about eating healthy,” Crow said.

According to Ronald Guillory, Sodexo resident director manager, The Market will continue to offer daily kosher-friendly options from Tulane University’s Hillel’s Kitchen.

The new on-campus dining options extend to Loyola’s Broadway Campus and Tulane’s campus, Bacque said.

Changes include the addition of paninis, fresh salads and soup to Jazzman’s menu, and Tulane’s new Café Spice will offer Indian cuisine. This eatery opened in Tulane’s Lavin-Bernick Center Food Court, Bacque said.

The changes that have been implemented are part of a three-year dining makeover project, Guillory said.

Lauren Cutuli can be reached at [email protected]