Students settle into Cabra Hall

RAQUEL DERGANZ BAKER/ Photographer
Cabra Hall resident and psychology sophomore Nicole Evans sits at her desk that overlooks the Broadway campus. The residence hall underwent major renovations before opening on August 24.

Haley Hampton, political science sophomore and Cabra Hall resident, doesn’t have to wear shoes when she takes a shower anymore. A freshly renovated bathroom is one of her favorite parts about living in Cabra Hall.

“No one has showered in them yet,” Hampton said.

In the past year, Cabra Hall has received an entire revamping of its interior and exterior, from new paint to new kitchen appliances.

The building now features apartment-style suites, newly painted in a color scheme of deep turquoise, burnt orange and sea foam green. Jordan Peota, music education junior, approves of this “clean” look.

“I love the whole vibe,” Peota said. “It feels like everything is fresh.”

The new suites come with a kitchen complete with refridgerator and cooktop stove.

Victoria Reddix-Thompson, forensic chemistry junior and Cabra Hall resident, is thrilled about having a space to cook her own meals.

“It’s nice to have a kitchen of your own,” Reddix-Thompson said. “I don’t have a lot of food right now, but I plan to use the kitchen soon.”

In addition to the kitchen, each suite also comes with updated moveable furniture and larger windows.

Even though Cabra Hall is the smallest residential facility, reaching only five stories, it is the largest apartment-style community at Loyola. According to the Office of Student Affairs website, Cabra Hall houses 163 upperclassmen in single and double rooms.

The single rooms are what Nicole Evans, psychology sophomore and Cabra Hall resident, enjoys most. Last year Evans lived in Biever Hall, which didn’t give her the same privacy, she said.

“It’s really nice living in a single,” she said. “I like living with my suitemates, but I want my own space to relax.”

Now that she has spent some time in her new dorm, Evans said she can’t imagine living anywhere else on campus.

“I would absolutely recommend Cabra Hall,” Evans said. “If you are going to live on campus, definitely try for Cabra.”

Raquel Derganz Baker can be reached at [email protected] 

One resident turns her single apartment space into a cozy home. Cabra Hall offers both single and double bedrooms to Loyola upperclassmen. (RAQUEL DERGANZ BAKER/ The Maroon)

Cabra Hall’s suites have spacious kitchens with brand new appliances. Prior to the building’s renovation, Carrollton Hall was the only residential building that offer apartments with kitchens to students. (RAQUEL DERGANZ BAKER/ The Maroon)