Begin your routine a little early in the semester

So, it has been about two weeks since we have been in school. This includes our Hurricane Gustav adventures, and if you have not made working out part of your daily routine you’d better do it soon.

Once you make exercise part of your schedule early on in the semester, the results you will see once this semester is over will be worth the hard work.

Our gym costs and memberships come straight from tuition so take advantage of what our fitness center offers; you are paying for it anyway.

We have some good things happening this year with the Wellness Department that should make reaching your goals much easier.

We have moved the cardiovascular section around to accommodate our four new flat screen televisions (bring your own headphones) that should be fully functional within the month.

If that does not motivate you to work out and stay distracted, this semester we are offering a wide range of group exercise classes to meet everyone’s style of exercise from fast-to-slow floor work to fitness in the pool.

All of these classes are free of charge excluding pilates and yoga which require a registration fee.

One of the best ways to get motivated is to make a pact with friends to reach your goals, and there’s no better way to do this than simply going to a class once or twice each week together.

If none of that gets you going towards a healthy and sexy new lifestyle, come to the University Sports Complex and talk to any of the personal trainers.

Even if you do not want to purchase sessions, a trainer can guide you in the right direction towards your goals with a health assessment.

Get up right now, and look at your body in a mirror. Whether you want to maintain your current physique or need some work, make a vow right now that you will start this year in a healthier direction.

If you start being consistent with your exercise and diet now, your body will make permanent changes for lifelong health. Even if you are older, you will be surprised what a little change in your life can really do for your health.

If you want to see changes with your body, though, you must be consistent, and do not forget when working out: no pains, no gains.

Dominic Moncada can be reached at [email protected].