Jewish group gains members

Despite once being extremely active, Loyola’s Jewish Student Association, was down to only two active members last semester.

Roger White, vice provost and associate professor of political science, has been the group’s advisor since it began in 2006. White believes that it is important to have diversity on campus and to promote it.

“It began with a handful of students that wanted an organization to represent the Jewish population at Loyola and to reflect Jewish identity. There were only five or six students, but that’s all they needed to be successful; however, the problem we have now is that not enough students want to get involved and follow through with their commitments,” said White.

With only two active members, hosting events has become increasingly difficult for the JSA. This year they hosted a Hanukkah party in the Orleans Room that had very low turnout.

“It is hard to be an active group with just the two of us, and with so few people attending our events I’m not sure how the organization will grow,” said JSA member Alyssa Labat, international business junior.

Some believe that social networking has affected not only the JSA but other organizations’ ability to be as active as they once were.

“The JSA hosted a service day and no one showed up. Because of social networks like Facebook, people figure out what they’re going to do an hour before they do it, and an organization can’t run that way,” said White.

Few people realize that although the JSA is a Jewish-based organization, members of other religious groups are welcome and encouraged.

“I think it would be fun to be part of a group outside my faith. I think more people should become involved with religious organizations outside of their own,” said Chelsea Dellaripa, a visual arts junior at Loyola.

In spite of tricky times, the members of JSA are hopeful. Several new members have recently joined the group.

“We’re hosting a Seder dinner in the spring with Tulane’s Jewish group and we’re working on getting together with other religious organizations at Loyola to host an alcohol-free mixer. We’re on campus and we’re trying to educate people about Judaisim and provide a social sphere for that,” said Zach Turmelle, music industry senior and JSA president.

Haley Summers can be reached at