Master’s programs approved, effective February

The Standing Council for Academic Planning unanimously approved two new dual master’s degrees that are not offered by any other graduate school in the country.

The dual master’s degrees approved are a Master of Science in Counseling and Criminal Justice and a Master of Science in Counseling and Music Therapy. The directors of the three departments came together to propose these dual degree programs after students suggested the combination of the programs.

The dual degrees were proposed to the Standing Council for Academic Planning on Jan. 18. They were approved on Feb. 1. The programs will not require new courses, new staff or new resources.

Students who were pursuing the master degrees separately that decided it would be easier to combine the degrees. The dual degrees will be completed in fewer credit hours than if the degrees were pursued separately.

The bulk of the curriculum will contain classes in counseling. Criminal justice and music therapy classes will replace some electives so that students will not be duplicating courses.

The programs will be “less cumbersome,” said LeAnn Steen, chair of the counseling program. Stephanie Ducros, a current counseling student, agrees with Steen that the dual degrees will not be more difficult for students. “If it is something you are interested in, you will want to work for it,” Ducros said.

Ultimately, these programs will guarantee more employment opportunities for students who complete them, says Rachel Cupit, Ph.D., executive assistant to the counseling department chair. They will also offer more help and experience for students within the community. The programs will be in effect immediately.

Jamie Futral can be reached at