Students apply for graduation as deadline approaches

Raquel Derganz Baker

Before students get to walk across the stage and receive the diploma they have been working for, they need to apply for graduation.

Kathy Gros, director of student records and registration services, said that students looking to graduate in the spring or summer of 2015 need to apply by Oct. 31. Gros said she sent an email out to juniors, seniors and non-graduate freshmen.

All of the graduation applications are sent directly to her office.

“My staff puts their information into the student records system which includes if they are participating in the commencement ceremony, planning to attend the baccalaureate mass, their diploma name, etc.,” Gros said.

Patricia Calzadilla, business management senior, said the application process took her around 10 minutes to complete. The first time she heard about applying for graduation was through a friend’s Facebook status.

“It was a bit hard to find the application at first, but once I did, it was pretty basic information that I had to provide,” Calzadilla said. “All you need is your major and where you want your diploma sent to. Also the phonetics of your name. That was a little hard for me.”

Sandy Chen, music industries studies senior, said she was informed about applying for graduation at her music industry forum, as well as through email.

She said she thinks that Loyola did a good job of informing students about applying.

After the application is processed, it is then forwarded to the student’s dean or department office for graduate programs.

“A final degree audit is performed on the student’s record, and the application is returned to the student with any remaining requirements,” Gros said.

For some students, applying for graduation drives home the fact that school is going to end soon.

Criminal Justice Senior Manterrinan Zehyoue hasn’t applied for graduation yet, and she said she is stressed but also excited. She said she feels like she just graduated from high school.

Calzadilla said she is also stunned with the fact that college is almost over.

“I’m a bit overwhelmed. I mean, overall I’m proud of how far I’ve gotten and the things I’ve accomplished, but there’s definitely that sense of anxiety and uncertainty for what’s going to happen in the future,” Calzadilla said.

She said that she has a lot to thank Loyola for.

“Loyola has helped shape me into an individual I’m proud to be, personally and professionally. Leaving is hard and so many things about my life here will never be forgotten, but I cannot wait to see where I end up for the next chapter of my life,” Calzadilla said.