Seat card use at all time high

When Tad Walters registered for the spring 2013 semester, a required religion course fit into his schedule. Little did he know, a seat card would hold the key into entering the closed course.

Walters, history sophomore, was among many Loyola students asking for permission from a professor to sign a seat card in efforts to become enrolled in a closed course during the beginning of the spring 2013 semester.

According to Kathy Gros, director of student records, this semester had the most seat cards processed in the past four semesters.

During spring 2013, 304 seat cards were used. This is 108 more seat cards than fall 2012, and 139 more seat cards than fall 2011, she said.

According to Francis Coolidge, University Senate senator and associate professor of philosophy, “I was stunned by how many students needed seat cards,” he said during a University Senate meeting. He added, “Many were desperate to get into classes to graduate.”

Walters said he observed 10 other students ask the professor to sign a seat card to enter a specific religion course that would fulfill an advanced common curriculum credit.

“He actually offered to sign a card for anyone that wanted to get one signed at the end of the first day of class,” Walters said.

While faculty, staff and students share mixed feelings about the efficiency of the seat card process, Gros said she sees the process in a positive light.

“I can’t think of any other way to do it as easily,” Gros said.

After going through the seat card process, Walters said he appreciates it.

“I think it not only allows students who had various holds to still get into the classes that they want or need, but also allows teachers to gain numbers in a classroom, which could be a beneficial thing if they want it to be,” Walters said.

Lucy Dieckhaus can be reached at [email protected]