SGA charters new mass communication club

After some debate, the Student Government Association recognized the Radio Television Digital News Association as an official student organization.

RTDNA is a new broadcasting club that will supply the Loyola community with digital news through a new broadcast, Pack News, that will be hosted on The Maroon’s website. Some SGA members expressed concerns that the money RTDNA received would be used to fund The Maroon.

SGA approved the organization at their Feb. 1 meeting.

Brian Gibbons, SGA finance director and finance senior, said at the meeting that it was unclear for what the club wanted financing. He was also said he worried that RTDNA would become a business since they plan to pursue advertisements for its website.

Santiago Caicedo, mass communication junior, represented RTDNA at the SGA meeting.

“They were debating about how if we had advertising we would turn into a business. But we are not The Maroon. We are Pack News. We’re our own entity. We wanted a student charter so we could actually be represented and members pay dues and have elections,” he said. Caicedo said funding would go toward specific equipment.

“We want to get things like cameras, tripods, SD cards. We can’t rely entirely on what the school has because other students may have checked out the equipment,” Caicedo said.

Mary Jameson can be reached at [email protected]