Track team prepares for outdoors

The Loyola men’s and women’s track teams ran in an indoor track meet for the first time in two seasons, and it helped them prepare for what they say really counts: the outdoor season.

Only two returning members have indoor track experience: visual arts junior Sarah Tortorich and economics and finance junior Chris Graugnard.

Vanessa Righeimer, mass communication sophomore, and Denise Powell, biology/pre-med freshman, both ran in the 300-meter race.

“The indoor season is a good way for the younger runners to get experience before we begin competing in the outdoor season,” Righeimer said. Righeimer said she and her team have high hopes for the outdoor meets.

The men also competed in numerous events. William Maye, economics freshman, and Tucker Scott, history senior, ran in the 400-meter dash, while Mario Ramirez, business freshman, ran in the 800-meter event. Both Dylan DiMartino, economics freshman, and Graugnard competed in the 3,000-meter event. Graugnard finished with a personal best of 10 minutes and 1 second.

“We saw some serious competition at Birmingham. This encouraged me and my team to get back to our workouts and become the best that we can be,” Tortorich said.

Although the indoor season was short with only two meets, it offered extra practice for the team to prepare for the outdoor season.

“The indoor season was a stepping stone for improving our performances for the upcoming outdoor season,” said head track coach Andy Canegitta.

The Wolfpack concluded its indoor season at the McNeese Jeff Davis Bank Indoor Invitational on Feb. 3 in Lake Charles and the outdoor track season begins March 10.

The Wolfpack will compete in the Southern Mississippi Invitational in Hattiesburg, Miss.

Chelsey Richter can be reached at [email protected]