Students, faculty admired professor

Dr. Peggy McCormack had a passion for English and film, but she had an even greater passion for the well being and success of her students.

Dr. McCormack died on Feb. 21 from a lengthy illness.

She attended the University of St. Thomas in Houston where she received her B.A., then earned her Ph.D. from Rice University.

She began teaching at Loyola in 1981 as an English professor, teaching classes in American literature and British fiction.

She helped found the English writing major, as well as the Writing Across the Curriculum program.

Aside from English, Dr. McCormack had a life-long love of film. She served as chairwoman of the film studies minor and director of Film Buffs, a program that screened films on campus.

According to friends, her favorite movies included classics like “Sunset Boulevard,” “Double Indemnity” and “Gilda,” as well as the American horror film, “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.”

Dr. McCormack was responsible for introducing movie theater quality projection and sound to Loyola by updating the audio and visual equipment in the projection rooms in Bobet Hall.

English junior Kim Buras worked as Dr. McCormack’s assistant starting in spring 2011 and serves as graphic designer for Film Buffs.

Buras described Dr. McCormack as a kind, fair and strong boss and said McCormack ran Film Buffs, her “well-oiled machine,” with a tight schedule and a strong hand.

“She truly believed that there was no better job on campus than to be able to share great films with fellow students, and if you ask any of the projectionists, they would agree,” Buras said.

Among many things, Buras said she will miss Dr. McCormack’s support, kindness and love.

“She was a great teacher, a kind person, a strong leader and a good friend,” Buras said. “It is comforting to think that maybe she will live on through us, her students, via the passion for films that she gave to us.”

According to Dr. McCormack’s husband, Steve Pinell, her passion for teaching and for her students encouraged Dr. McCormack to continue at Loyola despite her gradual decline in health.

“Her interaction with her students in her classes motivated her and provided the impetus to continue the fight against her illness, when perhaps others may have simply retired,” Pinell said. “Her students in no small measure made her life and living worthwhile.”

Pinell said that despite the reality of her health, Dr. McCormack was already thinking about the classes she wanted to teach in summer school.

“Peggy loved Loyola and what the university stood for, along with students she considered herself fortunate to teach,” Pinell said.

Film Buffs will hold a screening of “Sunset Boulevard” and of “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” in Dr. McCormack’s honor at 5 p.m. on March 9 in Bobet 332.

University Ministry will hold a memorial service on Friday, March 30 at 10:30 a.m. to celebrate Dr. McCormack’s life and career.

Scott O’Brien can be reached at [email protected]