Second SGA election will be held in April

A second SGA election will be held because students rejected two of the Student Government Association’s proposed constitutional amendments during a recent election.

Loyola students have voted to decline two proposed campuswide referendums in the March 14 and 15 SGA elections. The amendment cutting Senate from 24 representatives to eight representatives failed. The decline of nine justices to five justices and the separation of the judicial branch and the Court of Review failed.

The consolidation of the University Programming Board under SGA, the addition of the Finance Committee and the addition of the Associates Program passed.

“We’ve done our best to ensure elections ran smoothly,” Armstrong said, during an announcement of the election winners on Tuesday, March 19.

Mara Steven, SGA chief justice, said the number of students voting increased compared to the SGA election last year.

SGA will be holding a second election on Tuesday, April 9 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to fill the required Senate positions outlined by their constitution. The three amendments that were passed will take effect immediately.

For a campuswide referendum to be accepted into the new constitution, half of the total number of votes