Musician hired as bass professor

The College of Music and Fine Arts has a new addition to their faculty.

After the resignation of Jesse Boyd, Roland Guerin, an active musician, accepted the position and will now serve as the new bass professor for the College of Music and Fine Arts.

Guerin said that his status as a gigging musician will no doubt inform and enhance the quality of his lessons, despite his busy schedule off campus.

Guerin has been a bassist since youth, playing in his family’s zydeco band and entering in jazz competitions throughout Louisiana.

“My teaching style is geared toward life instead of just teaching technique. I try to embed experiences of my own into the lesson,” Guerin said.

Guerin aims to keep musical traditions alive through his students.

“I asked the music faculty who would be on the top of their list for a replacement and it was easily unanimous,” John Mahoney, coordinator and professor of jazz studies, said. “He always speaks to you as a person before musician. He’s one of the only college music professors in the city who simultaneously gigs all over the world and can manage the busy schedule. He makes it a priority to keep New Orleans music alive and spread it,” Loyola alumnus Bryce Eastwood said. His experiences touring and recording with Ellis Marsalis, John Scofield, Brian Blade, Allen Toussaint and John Ellis, attract students from all backgrounds and interests who yearn to learn from his wisdom that, as a professor, he feels necessary to share, Guerin said.

“In practicing, I don’t like to waste time. I utilize everything in a song basis and work over everything I teach in a song. I want to do everything to the best of my ability. See what is important and realistic and tackle that, and hopefully if it’s honest, it’ll work,” Guerin said.

Kevin Clifford can be reached at [email protected]