Allocation budget feels the squeeze

$30,000 reduction comes in light of decreased freshman enrollment

Loyola’s Student Government Association is working with a lower allocations budget for the school year.

The organization’s funds are reflected from student fees. Due to the recent enrollment decrease, the budget has dropped.

The allocation funds are comprised of student fees: $120 a year for full time students and $60 a year for part-time students, according to the Loyola website.

Logan McCabe, vice president of finance and economics senior, said that the allocations budget is $70,000, compared to $100,000 last year.

He named the freshman class size enrollment decrease as the reason for the decline during President’s Council meeting on Thursday, Sept. 12.

“While it is less money, we have made strides to make sure the allocations pool is as full as it can be at a single time,” McCabe said.

This year’s allocations would have a “rolling process.”

In the past, some student organizations would not turn in their receipts for reimbursement with in the deadline and the money requested would be outstanding.

“But now if an organization doesn’t get their receipts in with in 10 days, that funding we can now be put back into the allocations pool,” McCabe said.

He said he believes there will be a higher percentage of allocated funds that will actually be allocated and claimed.

Student government is still committed to properly funding student organizations, McCabe said.

“We’re still really dedicated to giving our organizations adequate funds to put on really cool programs,” McCabe said.

McCabe said he believes that student organizations will not be affected too significantly by the decrease in the budget, because proportionally, in comparison to the entire SGA budget, the amount given to allocations has increased.

Alicia Serrano can be reached at [email protected]