New college associate dean begins year

After being associate dean of the College of Music and Fine Arts for 23 years, Anthony Decuir has stepped down from the position.

Music therapy clinician, educator and Loyola alumna Victoria Vega, associate professor of music therapy, was selected as Decuir’s successor.

Decuir said he wanted to step down and added he has been privileged to work with such outstanding faculty and students.

An enrollment increase is one of the accomplishments Decuir was credited for with during his time as associate dean.

Decuir said he has seen student numbers increase from 198 students to over 600.

He believes it was a time for change, Decuir said

“The decision to step down was all mine. There was never any coercion,” Decuir said. “My decision was based on my belief that it was time for a new perspective and energy in the associate dean’s position.”

Decuir does not doubt abilities, and he said he believes Vega will “rise to the challenge of her new position.”

“When Dean Boomgaarden informed me that Dr. Vega was his choice to become the associate dean, I applauded the choice,” Decuir said.

In a press release on Aug. 12, Donald Boomgaarden, dean of the College of Music and Fine Arts, said the decision of selecting Vega to fill the associate dean position.

“We are thrilled to have Professor Vega assume this leadership role in our college. Her contributions over the years have been stellar, and she has all the tools and capabilities to be an excellent member of the college’s leadership team,” Boomgaarden said.

Jessica Mixon, music performance senior, said she will miss Decuir, but she welcomes Vega.

“I am positive that Dr. Vega has all the credentials and excellent work ethic to fill the position,” Mixon said.

Thomas Lin, vocal performance senior, said he believes Vega will be an excellent replacement, but that its will take students time to become adjusted.

“None of us expected him to take a break, not that he didn’t need it. It’s just different,” Lin said.

Joseph Hebert, music professor, said that Decuir was “very personable, efficient, always available and knew the names of 95 percent of the students.”

Decuir will continue in academia with other projects he said.

“During my sabbatical, I plan to develop a course on music therapy ethics, write an article on the history of the South Central Region of the old National Association for Music Therapy, learn Spanish and go fishing,” Decuir said. “Thus far, I have only started studying Spanish in earnest. Hopefully I will get a call to go fishing soon.”

Diana Mirfiq can be reached at [email protected]