Residential Life adapts to changes on campus

Students move into Buddig Hall on Aug. 22. Due to Cabra Hall renovations, Residental Life has made changes to housing policies
Tiffany Kudiwu/Staff Photographer

Loyola took 213 living spaces offline for renovation this school year, creating a challenge for Residential Life.

With Cabra Hall, located on the Broadway campus and currently undergoing major renovations that require it to be closed for the school year, Res Life had to find a way to properly accommodate all residential students.

According to Director of Residential Life Craig Beebe, every resident assistants now has a roommate, with some even agreeing to have more than one if the need should arise.

There have been spaces on campus that have been converted into student housing. Converted spaces include a former resident chaplain apartment on the 12th floor of Buddig Hall that has been changed into a six person suite.

Alterations also occurred in the policies for those who want to live off campus. Residental Life waived the two-year minimum requirement for students to live on campus to all that entered a lottery.

The lottery was initially going to allow only some students to have the option to live off campus, but as the demand for on-campus living increased every student who entered into the lottery, nearly 140, was granted the ability to live off campus.

Beebe said Loyola’s residential population- and in turn the demand for housing- has grown between five percent to 19 percent over the last five years.

Residential Life also waived the cancellation fees for upperclassmen past the initially instated deadline of June 1.

For incoming transfer students and for those who remain on the waitlist for housing, Res Life has secured off-campus housing at the University of New Orleans Privateer Place Student Village.

Beebe says he feels that this process yielded “the most positive results for the largest number of people.”

Etefia Umana can reached at [email protected]

Edwin Madera, coordinator of Jesuit Center programs and Ignacio volunteer sassists a freshmen student moving into Biever Hall. The residence hall houses exclusively freshman. (Shamara King/Assistant Photo Editor)