Stafford nears end of her career

Stafford nears end of her career

Duffel bags in hand, twelve fit young women in sweatpants and T-shirts wait anxiously on the bus to get to their next competition. Some talk with each other. Others sit quietly, strategizing how to achieve victory in what might be one of their last chances ever to compete.

No, it’s not the next contestants for “America’s Next Top Model.” It’s the women’s volleyball team en route to Texas to play in the Huston-Tillotson Tournament. And for libero Tiffany Stafford, psychology senior, this is one of the last times she’ll play Wolfpack volleyball.

Stafford, a native of New Orleans, started playing volleyball in middle school at St. Rosalie Elementary School on the Westbank and later played Bluecrab Club Volleyball. At Dominican High School, Stafford played defensive specialist and right side hitter. Stafford still smiles when reflecting on the packed gyms and loud fans during the spirited matches between Dominican and cross-town rival Mount Carmel Academy.

In charge of reading the opposing offenses, Stafford plays the most minutes and wears the opposite color jersey. Head coach Tommy Harold said the libero is the most important position on the team.

And this year, nobody could have done it better.

Stafford has won the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Region XIII Libero of the week award four times this year and ranks No. 40 in Division I in the digs per game catergory (5.7).

Although the team only has this one last tournament in Austin, Texas, before the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference tournament, Stafford – who graduates this year – said she will retain the memories she had with the game she loves, especially the emotional matches between Loyola rivals University of Mobile and Spring Hill College.

“They’ve beaten us twice,” Stafford said of Mobile. “They’re our big competition to beat in the conference tournament.”

But playing on a New Orleans team wasn’t always fun. Hurricane Katrina cut Loyola volleyball short just three games into the season. Stafford and the team were out of town for a game when the storm hit, leaving them stranded in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, for a week.

She flew to Baton Rouge to stay with family until she was able to come back to her home, which sustained minimal damage. Instead of attending school elsewhere, she took the semester off and worked to save money before returning to Loyola the next spring.

“It sucked because we won the first three games of that season,” Stafford said of the Katrina semester. “Although the season got cancelled, this is my last year of eligibility, so I guess it all worked out in my favor. (Katrina) made me miss (volleyball) more and made me more excited for the next season.” Stafford said the team’s pre-game ritual of clapping and performing various hand games gets them “pumped up, fired up and ready to play.” But one other thing excites Stafford about the games – her mother, Yvette Stafford.

Stafford’s mother, a recreational volleyball player herself, attends every home game and most out-of-town tournaments to cheer loudly from the stands.

“My mom made a lot of sacrifices for me to play, and I used to (freak out) if she wasn’t there,” Stafford said. “But now I conditioned myself to play hard no matter what. My mom is really proud of me.”

Every game Stafford’s father, Theo Stafford, has attended resulted in a victory. A lucky charm, perhaps? Stafford thinks so. She also appreciates when her boyfriend takes off of work to watch her play.

“It makes you feel good that they will give stuff up to come watch you,” Stafford said.

Teammates and head coach Tommy Harold agree she’s a great leader for the team.

“She is the hardest worker on the team … she’s always busting her butt to do everything she can in practice and make the best plays. She’s always saying uplifting things,” said outside hitter Colleen McNerney, psychology senior.

“She’s our captain. She’s our defensive leader. She’s a huge impact for the team and has always been a leader all four years she’s been here,” said middle hitter Danielle Posey, mass communication senior. “She’s a very laid-back person, and she can be really funny but can also be really serious when she needs to be. She’s just great.”

And even though Stafford doesn’t “do much besides school and practice,” she enjoys running, swimming, going to concerts, playing tennis for the United States Tennis Association League and her new hobby, photography.

“I’m learning a lot, and I’ve always wanted to do it,” Stafford said.

“She’s the leader of the team, without a doubt,” Harold said. Stafford’s journey at Loyola is coming to an end this semester. After graduation, she will attend Louisiana State University in New Orleans master’s program for occupational therapy. In the future, she hopes to work in a hospital, school system, rehab center or in pediatrics, using her degree to help people.

“It’s been a good four years. It’s not been easy, and we’ve had to work hard, but I’ve had a great experience here. I have no regrets. I made a lot of friends and a lot of memories that I’ll always remember.”

The Lady Wolfpack opens play in the GCAC tournament on Nov. 9.

Briana Prevost can be reached at [email protected].