Law students help cure tax problems

With April 15 nearing, Loyola Law students and faculty are starting their annual tax preparation program.

William Neilson, associate professor of the College of Law, started the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program in 1983 with a goal in mind.

The annual program was started to offer free preparation of federal and state income taxes for people with low to moderate income.

“We get people their refunds within two weeks,” Neilson said. “It is sent to their bank account automatically, and it is free of charge.”

One of the program’s student leaders and third-year law student Richard Lamb III says the program is important because “it creates a link between the school and members of the community.”

“Many people do not know this, but the Loyola VITA program provides tax preparations services at both the law school and at a location in St. Bernard Parish, which exposes some of Loyola’s best qualities to a wide range of people,” he said.

Lindsey Bolton, third-year law student and another student leader for the program, said the program was not just a means of filling her service hour requirement for graduation.

“I initially got involved because the participation in the program is a great way to fulfill the 50 pro bono hours required for graduation from the law school,” she said. “Through my participation, my interest in and enjoyment of tax grew, and I realized that being a part of the program offered so much more than just fulfillment of a graduation requirement.”

Lamb also said he thinks the program is important for the student volunteers.

“We are providing an excellent service to our clients. We don’t charge a dime, and we believe that the quality of our services is equal to, or exceeds, that of other tax preparation services. In exchange for having their tax returns prepared, the client provides the student volunteers with experiential knowledge that the volunteers will be able to use for the rest of their lives,” he said. “The VITA program provides a win-win situation for all parties involved.”

Neilson also pointed out how the program benefits the university.

“The program gives us a great reputation in the community,” he said. “Social justice is one of the Jesuit values, and that is what this program is.”

Bolton also said she believes VITA is an example of Loyola’s social justice values.

“VITA fits squarely into and continues the Jesuit tradition of service,” she said. “The students who participate take time out of their busy lives as students and give their services to people who need them.”

VITA’s hours of operation are Mondays and Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sundays from 10 p.m. to 2 p.m. Sessions began Jan. 23 and will continue until April 12.

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at [email protected]