Loyola takes second at World Cup

Loyola Quiddtich brings home second place trophy
Environmental+science+sophomore+Steven+Gergen%2C+history+sophomore+Tad+Walters+and+mass+communication+sophomore+Etefia+Umana+pose+with+the+Quidditch+team%E2%80%99s+trophy.+The+team+took+home+a+trophy+after+competing+in+the+Quidditch+World+Cup+on+April+13.+
COURTESY OF KAT IGNATOVA PHOTOGRAPHY
Environmental science sophomore Steven Gergen, history sophomore Tad Walters and mass communication sophomore Etefia Umana pose with the Quidditch team’s trophy. The team took home a trophy after competing in the Quidditch World Cup on April 13.

Loyola’s Quidditch team’s dream came true to attend The Quidditch World Cup VI Tournament in Kissimmee, Fla. on April 13 and 14.

“It was a little surreal for me, seeing as I never expected to get there,” Steven Gergen, environmental science sophomore said.

According to Quidditch player and history sophomore Tad Walters, the team fundraised on Indiegogo.com, a crowd funding website, and SGA also allocated the Quidditch team money to go to the tournament.

After gathering the money needed for the World Cup, the team made their travel arrangements.

“We flew to Orlando, and busses full of Quidditch players drove us to our hotels. The same busses drove us from the hotel to the fields and back every day,” Gergen said.

The Quidditch World Cup was an exciting experience for the players competing against other Quidditch teams in the US and other countries.

“Seeing all the different styles of play and just other really good teams was amazing to watch. Also the level of spirit and comradely between most teams,” Etefia Umana, mass communication sophomore said.

“It was really cool to see that much Quidditch going on at once. I probably focused a little too much on our game and winning over the weekend,” Gergen said.

“It was a great experience. Not only in an opportunity to play teams that we usually wouldn’t have the chance to play against, but watching some of the D1 games like the semi-finals and finals really gave me valuable insight and knowledge into the sport and what we can improve on next year,” Walters said.

The Quidditch team came in second place in the Division II bracket at the World Cup and the players are proud of their accomplishment.

“We were 6-0 before the final match, which we lost. Second place is still a really big deal to me, especially when teams from around the country and around the world are there,” Gergen said.

“I think we did quite well especially considering people’s prediction,” Umana said.

Loyola Quidditch team is grateful and sends their thanks to all who contributed to their success.

“I give thanks to SGA, the people who donated to us and all of my teammates, but in particular Tad Walters. He’s worked tirelessly this year to make sure that we got to this point,” Umana said.

“Thanks to everyone who donated definitely, and also SGA because I’m fairly certain they funded a lot of our trip too,” Gergen said. “Most especially though, I’d like to thank the team for sticking it out all year and making this happen.”

Shamara King can be reached at [email protected]