Women’s basketball team nears the end of its season

ZACH BRIEN/Staff Photographer
Biology freshman Meghan Temple and psychology senior Jasmine Brewer jump for the rebound while mass communication junior Janeicia Neely waits for the pass.

It’s been 24 games and the women’s basketball team now has one mission– winning a championship.

With a favorable schedule ahead, the women are keeping pace in their conference and are pushing for a championship tournament berth to cap off a successful 2013-2014 season.

For head coach Kellie Kennedy, staying focused on the ultimate goal has been an easy task.

“I wouldn’t say it’s been difficult to stay focused. At this time of year it really just depends on where you are with things. We’re in a three-way tie for second in the western side of the conference,” Kennedy said.

The team has managed a 10-5 record in conference play, and a 16-9 record over all. But the team’s success has been largely due to the early impact of accounting freshman Kylah Jones.

“She’s a freshman and she’s playing the point spot. Going into conference play she’s been tremendous. She’s been the reason that we’ve won some of the games that we’re winning,” Kennedy said.

Being a first year member of the Loyola Wolf Pack, Jones is surprised with her success as a freshman this season.

“Being a freshman I didn’t think that I would make such a big impact. I always had confidence but I didn’t think that I would be this much of a factor, especially offensively,” Jones said.

Though she has been relied on for much of the season, Jones hasn’t lost sight of what she could possibly improve for next year.

“I want to become more of a vocal leader. As a freshman I don’t really want to stand up to the upper classman but I think that it would be a huge improvement for me,” Jones said.

While Jones has continuted to develop this season, there is a wounded wolf is still looking to find her part in the pack.

Sophomore and psychology major Briana Oglesby is still recovering from a torn ACL suffered last season, which kept her off the court for the entire year.

“It’s been very difficult. I wasn’t even able to practice until about two months into the season. I basically had to play catch up for much of the season. It was really tough,” Oglesby said.

Even this late in the season, Oglesby says that the knee is very restricting. In spite of the injury, her focus is primarily on the progression of the team and the possibility of a championship run.

“I’m extremely motivated. I’m a part of a very talented team and I look forward to the length that we can go this year. We want it all,” Oglesby said.

Mark Robinson can be contacted at [email protected]