Master Plan Phase II begins with Monroe Hall renovations

Danna Center Renovations put on back burner
Nunemaker+Hall%2C+located+in+Monroe+Hall%2C+will+undergo+changes+as+part+of+renovations.+Dates+are+still+tentative.+
GEENA ACEVEDO/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Nunemaker Hall, located in Monroe Hall, will undergo changes as part of renovations. Dates are still tentative.

With the newly renovated Thomas Hall under wraps, phase II of the university’s master plan is now in effect with the start of the construction of Monroe Hall.

“The building is undergoing a total renovation. All departments will be affected,” said Ann Moss, director of Facilities Planning.

Planning for the renovation is still underway, but the basic changes have been stated in Loyola’s master plan.

In order for Monroe Hall to look similar to the rest of buildings on campus, the construction will involve a complete makeover of the exterior. Inside, there will be 114,000 additional square feet for larger classrooms. Monroe Hall will also have two additional floors.

Other expected changes include technology updates and upgraded meeting spaces. This particular project is the largest of phase II, which includes the creation of a new student center and residence hall, alongside small changes in existing residence halls.

Monroe Hall holds 37.5 percent of all classrooms on campus. As each phase of construction begins, classes will be reassigned to new places such as Marquette and Bobet halls.

The departments that will be affected will include biological sciences, chemistry, mathematical sciences, environmental biology, political science, sociology and physics. In addition to being the home to many departments, Monroe Hall also holds the Academic Resource Center, which offers tutoring to students.

Despite the possible inconveniences construction may impose on faculty and students, some couldn’t be happier a renovation is taking place.

“This building is in such poor shape that I am willing to do almost anything to have it renovated. If it means staying in the building throughout the construction —so be it. It is not going to be easy but our options are limited,” said Armin Kargol, chairman and associate professor of the physics department.

Dates of the construction have not been finalized but it should start before the end of the semester. Pile driving is scheduled to begin during winter break.

Kristen Diaz can be reached at [email protected]