Princeton Review recognizes Loyola

ERIC BURAS/The Maroon
African American Culture and History professor Ashley Howard lectures to class. The Princeton Review ranked Loyola as the fifth best college for race-class interaction, something Howard is passionate about.

Loyola University New Orleans has proven that it can hold its own among some of the nation’s top undergraduate institutions, according to The Princeton Review’s 2014 college guide.

The Princeton Review’s annual college guide, “The Best 378 Colleges,” published on Aug. 6, ranks colleges based on student feedback. Princeton surveyed over 126,000 students, an average of 333 students per school. The students surveyed completed an online survey and rated the various offerings of their school.

Over the past year, Loyola students ranked Monroe Library nineteenth best college library in the nation and also distinguished Loyola as the fifth best undergraduate institution to exhibit a great deal of race-class interaction.

“Every acknowledgment we receive, from the Princeton Review to the recent colleges of distinction award, to individual program and student successes, tells Loyola’s story and demonstrates to the community what an outstanding educational institution we are,” Roberta Kaskel, interim vice president of enrollment management, said.

Michael Olson, dean of libraries at Loyola, said that he is delighted with the library’s ranking this year.

“Being recognized as a center of intellectual, social and spiritual life at Loyola is a tremendous honor,” Olson said.

Olson also gives credit to the library’s team of faculty, staff and student employees.

“We seek to offer choices to our users who desire speed, options and convenience, and who also expect care, rigor and thoughtfulness,” Olson said. “We always welcome feedback and invite each student to tell us how your Monroe Library can become even better.”

Psychology freshman Courtney Pullig said that even though she hasn’t been able to fully explore everything Monroe Library has to offer, she is impressed with what she’s seen so far.

“I’ve only been on the first floor and second floor, but so far I really like it,” Pullig said. “I almost didn’t think it was a college library, because it looked so professional and nice.”

Along with Monroe Library’s rank, mass communications sophomore Annika Taylor said she is satisfied with Loyola’s ranking as fifth best college with race-class interaction. She believes the interactions between students of different racial and economic backgrounds are very strong on campus.

“Of course there will be a few separations between race and class, but the way that the students of various cultures and race come together to create such a unique student body is very comforting,” Taylor said. “It makes me feel proud that we have a melting pot community on campus.”

This “melting-pot” is something that Ashley Howard, assistant professor of history, is passionate about in her life.

“Having friends and classmates from different backgrounds is hugely important in all of our growth as people,” Howard said.

One of the things that Howard said attracted her to Loyola is the fact that faculty encourage critical conversations about race, class, gender, sexual orientation and privilege.

“Although not an improvement per se, I would love to see these conversations continue to take place outside the classroom,” Howard said.

Kaskel said she hopes that the high rankings Loyola has received will drive students to engage in conversations with the university about the merits of a Loyola education and to improve future enrollment.

“As interim VP for enrollment management, public acknowledgement of how good we are is priceless – like getting a five star rating,” Kaskel said. “On a personal level, it is gratifying to see students I admire and faculty and staff I value as colleagues and friends get the recognition they all deserve.”

Nia Porter can be reached at [email protected]