Loyola welcomes freshmen

Loyola faculty and staff welcomed new incoming freshman students at the New Student Convocation held annually at Holy Name of Jesus Church.

On August 23, new students were offered words of wisdom and challenged to make the most of their time at Loyola University.

Jasmine Barnes, mass communication senior, address edthe assembled class. She emphasized the importance of making use of opportunities presented at the university, Barnes said.

“I am encouraging you to open yourself to new things and become an active member of the community,” Barnes said.

Marc K. Manganaro, provost and vice president for academic affairs, spoke about becoming involved, asking for help, questioning assumptions, learning from others, benefiting from facing challenges, and sharing talents.

“My final charge is to challenge everyone to cherish these four years, […] these will be some of the most important times in your life,” Manganaro said.

The Rev. Kevin Wildes S.J., university president, delivered his traditional convocation remarks.

“Welcome to Loyola. Welcome to a place of ideas and dreams. Welcome to a place of hard work. Welcome to your adventure. Welcome to Loyola University New Orleans,” Wildes said.

The students processed, second-lining, out of the church to take the class photograph as newly integrated members of the Wolfpack.

Lauren Patton can be reached at [email protected]