Monroe undergoes construction

SARA FELDMAN/Senior Staff Photographer
Construction continues on Monroe Hall. The projected estimate date has remained Summer 2015.

Loyola University New Orleans continues construction on Monroe Hall.

The estimated completion date is scheduled for Summer 2015, according to Bret Jacobs, vice provost for information technology.

Major changes to the building include the addition of a sixth and seventh floor, while the first five floors will be renovated in five-to-six month phases over the next two years, Jacobs said.

Students and faculty are expected to see two phases underway throughout the 2013-2014 academic year. Jacobs said the renovations inside would continue to cause relocations among classes and departments.

The first phase is scheduled for completion this December and includes renovations to the fifth floor and a section of the fourth floor.

Thomas Raymond, director of construction and safety, said these renovations include new classrooms, offices and laboratories that have new furniture.

“Students, staff, and faculty will be pleased with the new areas and will quickly spread the word about what everyone can expect when the building is completely finished,” Raymond said.

The phase following the fifth and fourth floor north renovations revolves around the sixth floor renovation, which is expected to be finished in May 2014. The fourth floor south wing and third floor will return to service in August 2014.

The second floor and first floor renovations will be completed during the 2014-2015 academic year.

“The most difficult issues really are around the phasing of moving departments around in the building. It’s a massive coordination effort that has gone well to date,” Jacobs said.

The Physics Department is one department that has been relocated due to the construction. Martin McHugh, physics department chairman, said in December 2012 his department moved from the fourth floor down to the second floor. The department will make another move, in May 2014, from the second floor to the to-be newly renovated sixth floor.

“The fall semester of 2014 will be

the most disruptive, which we are going to not only have our offices but our research labs and our teaching labs are going to be in a temporary place,” McHugh said.

This plan is scheduled to last one semester until a permanent location on the first and second floor is completed. The department is projected to move in during 2015.

McHugh said that he believes the construction has not been very disruptive and that he and his department are excited to get into a renovated building.

Students and faculty can expect to see transformations in Monroe Hall. Jacobs said the biggest change students and faculty will observe will be “the new elevators and south tower bathrooms in service and the exterior facing Calhoun Street is also nearing completion with the brick façade in place.”

Not only is the estimated completion date on schedule but the Monroe Hall renovations are still on budget at a level of 93 million, according to Jacobs.

Lauren Cutuli can be reached at [email protected]