Peace Conference seeks charter from SGA

Organizers of the fifth annual Student Peace Conference, set for Spring 2013, have begun preparations this fall in hope that the Student Government Association will charter them as an organization, which will help with funding and ensure the conference continues to happen every year.

The weeklong event brings students together to support a common cause of peace.

Haley Saucier, Middle East peace studies senior and veteran organizer of the conference said, “I want to ensure it continues, easily.”

Chartering the peace conference as an organization will allow for financial assistance, and ensure the events will be planned far in advance, she said.

Gabby Farahani-Luciano– Laundry, theatre sophomore and Peace Conference organizer said the preparations will allow many different types of people to become involved. “We want to shine a light on positive cultural aspects and bring awareness,” she said.

Saucier said everyone can contribute by presenting anything about peace or social justice

According to Behrooz Moazami, faculty advisor for the conference, “making students think about as an organization will allow for financial assistance, and ensure the events will be planned far in advance, she said.

Saucier said everyone can contribute by presenting anything about peace or social justice.

According to Behrooz Moazami, faculty advisor for the conference, “making students think about peace and world problems,” allows the Peace Conference to correlate with the Jesuit mission. One way students can contribute to the academic portion of the conference is by submitting a paper, a piece of artwork or an original creation. This offers students the opportunity to discuss any events happening in the Middle East, said FarahaniLuciano-Laundry.

Moazami added that it “is not just academic but will make them think and change the world.”

Saucier explained other changes in the conference “Last year was radically different from previous years, so I want to follow a lot of last year’s blue prints.” She plans to do this by imitating the structure of the conference last year. However, she explains the Peace Conference will be designed according to the material that is submitted.

All students are encouraged to become involved. From hanging up flyers to planning events, everyone can contribute to the peace conference, said Saucier.

According to Luciano-Laundry, the 2013 Peace Conference will feature a dance competition emphasizing the importance of traditional, classical dance.

Lucy Dieckhaus ßcan be reached at [email protected]