Reorganized group hosts event for resident students

As the Residence Hall Association consolidates to a more central organization, RHA has inducted new committee members and has expanded their events.

Lauren Patton, RHA president and theatre and mass communication senior, said she believes new memebers are imperative to the association’s new direction.

“We are very happy and excited to see so many fresh faces in our organization,” Patton said.

RHA has gotten rid of the individual groups in each residential hall and replaced them with three committees led by executive board members. RHA believes that these committees will be better for students by opening up communication between residents and RHA.

The association is divided into committees, and the specific committees were led by Troy Thayer, biological science junior, Samantha Ybarzabal, psychology and sociology sophomore, and Daniel O’Keefe, general studies business freshmen and RHA vice president.

Patton said she believes that each committee plays a vital role in RHA.

Ybarzabal, programming leader, disuccssed the most recent event – ice cream social.

Loyola’s Residential Hall Association held an ice cream social for students in Carollton and Cabra halls last Sunday. RHA’s programming committee and representative committee teamed up to host a make-your-own sundae night.

“The purpose of the event was to be a nice spooky treat for our residents before Halloween,” Ybarzabal said.

The ice cream social was more than sprinkles to students: It provided the organization with a way to evaluate and improve, Ybarzabal said.

Surveys are there to see how students feel about the residential halls by providing students that transparency from RHA to the students, she said.

Raquel Derganz Baker can be contacted at [email protected]