Interfaith initiative creates community service

A new program on campus embraces New Orleans’ diversity by redefining the way Loyola students perform community service.

Interfaith Coordinator Sam Bradley and University Ministry Assistant Director Josh Daly traveled to Washington, D.C. in August as part of President Barack Obama’s recent interfaith challenge to universities. They headed home with their plan of action, the Youth Interfaith Leadership Initiative.

The initiative brings together all Loyola; Christian, Jewish, Muslim, humanist or non-believer, Daly said.

Students travel off campus to tackle service projects alongside other volunteer groups.

“It’s a challenge to connect faith with service,” Daly said.

On the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11, the group worked with over 100 volunteers of various faiths in Jefferson Parish, painting fences and planting gardens. Loyola’s “Wolves on the Prowl” Service Day on Nov. 5 will incorporate the initiative as it celebrates its 10th anniversary this year.

The White House’s challenge encourages schools to take on “year-long service projects that strengthen their communities and unite people across religious and cultural lines,” Obama said in a video message posted on the White House website.

The Youth Interfaith Leadership Initiative also hosts on-campus panels and conferences to deal with its primary focus this year – immigration. On Sept. 29, an interfaith panel on famine and migration took place in the St. Charles Room of the Danna Student Center.

Cherie Lejeune can be reached at [email protected]