Annual mass celebrates Jesuit traditions

Mass of the Holy Spirit offers unique experience
A view of the inside of the Holy Name of Jesus Church during the celebration of the Mass of Holy Spirit. The mass is a traditional Eucharistic celebration that Loyola organizes for faculty and students at the opening of each school year.
WADNER PIERRE/PHOTO EDITOR

The Centennial Mass of the Holy Spirit offered a change of scenery and an attention to spirit for John Asdourian, business freshman, who attends mass daily in the Ignatius Chapel.

The annual Jesuit mass took place Thursday Sept. 13 in the Holy Name of Jesus Church. The Mass of the Holy Spirit was significant in that it celebrated the university’s hundredth year.

Students, faculty and members of the Loyola Jesuit community proceeded into the church accompanied by students carrying red banners down the aisle to music. “I definitely like the procession, the way everyone came in,” said Asdourian.

The mass provided many opportunities for student engagement as well as interaction within the Loyola community. This could be observed immediately when members of student organizations sat together wearing t-shirts to represent their organizations.

University president the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J. presided over the mass.

The homily was given by the Rev. Gregg H.Grovenburg.

Asdourian said that he took a lesson from Grovenburg’s homily with him. “The priest talked about people around him being filled with spirit,” Asdourian said, “I want to be like that.”

The Genesis Gospel Choir performed during the liturgy of the Eucharist providing another source of student engagement in the mass.

Ballet Professor Laura Zambrano choreographed a dance for a group of students who initiated the recession from mass as they danced down the aisle. This was soon followed by Wildes, Grovenburg and the other celebrants, before the students with the decorative banners carried them out of the church as well.

International business freshman Molly Davies related too. “I took another step further in the Loyola community, and I understand the Jesuit and Loyola community better,” said Davies.

Jade Domingue can be reached at [email protected]

Rev. Gregg Grovenburg, S.J., associate chaplain for sacraments and faith formation, explains the importance of the Mass of the Holy Spirit in his homily. Grovenburg co-celebrated the Mass with the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., university president. (WADNER PIERRE/PHOTO EDITOR)