Law student sues Loyola; case being appealed

Loyola Law School student Leonce Jennings Miller III filed a lawsuit in April against Loyola alleging that one of his fall semester classes, titled “The Legal Profession,” was not taught satisfactorily. Miller is seeking over $2,000 for compensation and for the C grade to be taken off his transcript. The case has been dismissed twice and is now on appeal at the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. “It’s a ridiculous claim,” said Richard McCormick, the attorney defending Loyola in the lawsuit. “This is not something that belongs in court. This is something to be done at the university. He is such a poor law student he didn’t know that the law didn’t provide a remedy for it.” According to the civil court petition for damages, Miller alleged that Loyola “failed to meet its obligation to provide the course of instruction reasonably expected from a recognized accredited institution of higher education.” The petition says that Cynthia Lepow changed the time of the class, “gave an unprofessional exam that contained errors and had difficulty in communicating the course material to the students.” Miller said Lepow failed to cover material in the handbook and gave arbitary information. “This is the worst quality of instruction I have ever seen,” he said. “It’s a disgrace that Loyola would do something like that.”Lepow is on medical leave and could not be reached for comment. A board of five Loyola professors was instituted to investigate Miller’s allegations, and according to Miller, the dean sent him a letter saying that although the school did find the course below satisfactory, he would still have to pay for it. “It’s unfortunate. The ratings of this teacher were the worst in Loyola Law School. I met with Father Knoth to discuss this, but I just got a load of political garbage with no real remedy,” Miller said. The Rev. Bernard Knoth,S.J., university president, declined to comment.Miller said he intends to take this matter to the Supreme Court of Louisiana. “I think the Supreme Court will hear this,” he said. “If Loyola University loses, then it will set a precedent because then students will be able to sue every university in the state of Louisiana.”McCormick said he doesn’t think the case will go to the state Supreme Court . “I frankly would be very surprised if they looked at this case worthy of attention. What this boils down to is this guy is a crybaby,” McCormick said.

Click here to start a discussion on this story.