Campus-wide smoking bans: whose rights are at stake?

Smoking bans promote our right to clean air By Stephanie Benitez Smoking bans inhibit our personal freedom By Richard Fast

Smoking bans promote our right to clean air
By Stephanie Benitez

By the beginning of the 2015 Fall semester, Loyola will implement a campus-wide smoking ban. Though it is a private instution, Loyola University  is following in the footsteps of public universities throughout the state, who are acting in accordance with Act 211.

Just this past August, one of the largest colleges in the state, Louisiana State University began implementing the smoke-free policy, making them the campus to watch in how universities should approach their compliance to the bill.

Thus far, LSU’s experiences indicate difficulty with enforcing the policy. Loyola will only face the same issue of policy enforcement next fall, but think about it — is the policy really that bad?

In my discussions with friends and peers, many have mentioned that the idea of not being able to smoke between classes is stressful. That is a completely understandable remark, but the idea that smoking is a relaxing activity is an absolute myth.

Studies of long-time smokers have actually shown that smokers tend to experience higher levels of stress and tension all throughout their addiction and experience significantly lower levels of stress overall after they quit.

The fact of the matter is that even with designated smoking areas, the effects of smoking on campus are an issue that involves the entire student population. Secondhand smoke is an issue to other people’s health and general comfort around campus.

At the very least, maybe the policy will teach smokers to be more considerate about where they blow their smoke.

The bottom line is that the smoke-free ban is coming to campus whether you are ready or not, and it does not seem to ask much to put off your cigarette break for a few hours and just go to class.

The time you dedicate to being on campus is just a small portion of your day, which gives you free reign over all the smoking you want to do outside of class time. The ban should not be perceived as the school being some villainous character telling you how to live

Smoking bans inhibit our personal freedom
By Richard Fast