Freshman year will be an exciting challenge

Marley Duet

Less than a year ago, I cringed at the thought of deciding on a college. How could I possibly decide what university best met my needs and expectations if I had only just begun to understand myself as a person?

As a high schooler envisioning my adult self, I always focused less on what exactly I wanted to do, and more on the kind of person I wanted to become. The stress on choosing a college and career path confused me.

But with the pressure of the inevitable decision mounting, I reluctantly began my search. Then, through the flood of college mail, Loyola University caught my attention.

By choosing Loyola, I know I am entering into a community that will challenge who I am as a person. Loyola’s Jesuit policy of educating the whole person promised that it would help me grow in my spirituality, compassion and social awareness, all while preparing me for a successful career. I was assured of my decision because of Loyola’s dedication to molding me into a well-rounded person, no matter what major I chose to study.

After more research and a few visits to the campus, I realized I liked the way this university functioned as a community as well. Alumni and students alike praise this institution for the fundamental skills and essential opportunities it provides; their testament does not amount to a few empty quotes of kind words to fill a promotional webpage.

The most compelling evidence for Loyola’s strength as an educational institution are the noteworthy accomplishments of its students and alumni. The countless success stories spin a whirlpool of emotion within rising freshmen like me. We think of alumni and upperclassmen as already bettering their communities and striding toward prosperous careers, but we should remember that they began their journeys as inexperienced freshmen just like us. In that way, they should inspire us.

However, we understand that merely being a part of an environment that fosters intellectual and spiritual growth does not guarantee our own success. Unfortunately, no professor will hand out success along with the syllabus on the first day of class.

The daunting task of seizing opportunities and meeting them with tireless effort to shape our own futures falls on us. Our families, professors and advisors may hold high expectations for us, but along with those expectations is a strong confidence in our capabilities as students. Something convinced the admissions office to accept us into Loyola after all. Therefore, we should challenge ourselves and truly take advantage of everything this university has to offer.