Loyola braces for hurricane Isaac

Sam Winstrom
    Vice president for student affairs and associate provost of academic affairs Cissy Petty prepares bagged lunches with assistant director of campus activities Courtney Williams on Aug. 28 before hurricane Isaac hit campus. The bagged dinners are for students housed in the dorms during the hurricane.

As Hurricane Isaac approaches New Orleans, Loyola Residential Life has planned out measures to ensure that the students on campus remain safe.

According to Carrolton Hall area director Katie Cannella, All residence halls will go in to “lock down,” at 6 p.m. At this time no one will be allowed to enter the buildings and students are strongly encouraged not to leave.

Everyone currently living on floors seven through twelve in Buddig Hall was required to either temporarily room with someone on floors two through five or one of the other residence halls, said Cannella. The students were allowed to choose which option they wanted in an effort to make them more comfortable.

Residential life has been obtaining information on the storm from an emergency response team that remains in contact with them for updates on the storm. This team in conjunction with residential life, and student affairs has issued a plan for the various residence halls, according to Cannella.

Res life has informed residents to be conservative with their electricity use to stave off a power outage. If a power outage was to occur the residence halls have generators that would provide enough power to have lighting only within the hallways and let one of the elevators function if necessary.

The Orleans Room’s closure lead to the dining staff, res life, and student affairs creating sack lunches for the residents said Cannella. With no exact number of the students from Buddig temporarily living in Carrollton and Biever halls the lunches were created in excess.

The number of students in Carrollton is being determined by room checks by resident assistants. Every RA has also been informed of each students’ evacuation, which was documented by Res Life. Cannella said that the RAs have been checking in on the people on their floor quite frequently. “(They’ve) been checking in with students pretty much every twelve hours to figure out what their plan is,” said Cannella.

Cannella said that the plans were made so that Res Life erred on the side of caution.

The Maroon will update this story as it develops. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on hurricane Isaac’s effect on Loyola.