Recap of school year’s top stories

Hurricane Katrina –

The hurricane hit New Orleans the day classes were scheduled to begin for the Fall 2005 semester – Monday, Aug. 29. Katrina scattered students, faculty and staff throughout the country. While the administration helped get the school back on track following the cancellation of the fall semester, Loyola students attended more than 400 colleges and universities. About 92 percent of students returned when the school reopened on Jan. 9, 2006.

Pathways

Meningitis scare

Shortly before Mardi Gras, hundreds of students flooded the Student Health Center after psychology junior Trent Fucich died of meningitis in his Cabra Hall room. The university supplied students with a free dosage of ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic used as a preventative measure against the bacterial strain of meningitis. No other cases of meningitis have been reported.

Carrollton

After 15 months of renovations, the Carrollton Hall construction was finally completed in March. Carrollton first opened for students in 1999, but two years ago major structural problems with the building were discovered. Students who were living in the dorm during its renovation had regularly complained about the noise. Said the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., university president: “I’m just glad that it’s over.”

SLU/Quarter semester

Students faced many problems after returning to Loyola from other universities. Despite assurances by every other Jesuit institution that Loyola tuition would be honored, St. Louis University charged its transient students full SLU tuition. Other students who attended schools on the quarter system had their credit hours reduced when they were converted to Loyola’s semester system.