The Maroon eyes a digital future

Sports editor Ramon Vargas, mass communication sophomore, produces a podcast in the Maroon office. The Maroon is working to expand its Web site by adding multimedia features.
    Victoria Lodi

Beginning this week, Maroon reporters and editors will let their voices be heard in a completely new way. The first Maroon podcast made its appearance Monday on The Maroon Online.

“Like most other media, we’re changing to keep up to date with technology and with new ways to provide information to our audience,” said Daniel Monteverde, mass communication junior and editor of The Maroon.

In the coming weeks, editors will be adding more podcasts and more interactive media, such as audio slideshows, to the paper’s Web site. Next semester the Web site will also be used to report news more often while the print edition will look at topics more in-depth.

“By the time newspapers come out, the news is old. The Web has put newspapers back in the breaking news business,” Monteverde said.

The first podcast to go online was a recap of the Loyola-Tulane basketball game by Ramon Vargas, mass communication sophomore and The Maroon’s sports editor.

“By the time our print edition comes out,” Vargas said, “TV stations and The Times-Picayune have already reported the scores and the storyline of the game.

“We have to take advantage of our status as a weekly. We have the opportunity this way to report the information in a more dynamic, informal way.”