AIESEC encourages networking strategies

The world’s largest youth-run organization has come to Loyola.

AIESEC, a French acronym that translates to “International Association of Students in Economics,” will prepare students for the business world.

AIESEC is a 60-year-old organization that is present in 110 countries and has over 60,000 members.

AIESEC Loyola will provide members with leadership experiences, study abroad and exchange opportunities, international internships and global networking.

After discussing the organization with Jeffrey A. Krug, business professor and new AIESEC adviser, AIESEC Local Committee President and marketing sophomore Kristi Weston said she was inspired.

“I loved the mission, loved what AIESEC does, and decided I wanted to help set up a chapter at Loyola,” she said.

Loyola was accepted in September and is now the only university on the Gulf Coast, from Georgia to Texas, to have an AIESEC chapter.

This December, the Loyola AIESEC executive board attended an official training conference in San Francisco.

Member applications are currently being accepted.

“We’re really looking for quality over quantity because AIESEC is really like running a social enterprise and a nonprofit organization,” Weston said.

Daniel Afanador, AIESEC co-vice president of developing income and exchange and international business senior, said that the work is challenging,but very valuable and enjoyable.

“I think AIESEC is important for Loyola because it builds leaders so that once you graduate you’re able to become better individuals in the world and in the job market,” he said.

Jennie Gutierrez can be reached at [email protected]