Loyola art club returns with new enthusiasm

SARA FELDMAN/Senior Staff Photographer
    Students take a look at the art featured in “Clusterfunk,” the Untitled club’s first art show of the year held on Oct. 8 in the Danna Student Center basement. Untitled is a new student organization that has already recruited over 60 members in the past two months.

Loyola’s art community is witness to the resurrection of an old art club that has been named “Untitled.”

Loyola’s art club has been inactive for “around two or three years mostly due to poor organization,” visual arts senior and Untitled president Del Agnew said. Agnew is one of the three presidents of the Untitled club.

Agnew said there have been attempts in the past to restart the club, but all attempts were unsuccessful.

This year, Untitled became an official organization on campus and has already recruited 60 members. On Oct. 8, the club held its first art show of the year in the Danna Student Center basement. Called “Clusterfunk,” this show featured around 33 different student art pieces.

According to Agnew, “Clusterfunk” was largely a collection of art pieces that students had done over the summer.

“The title ‘Clusterfunk’ sounded better then ‘Summer Art Show,'” Agnew said.

Visual arts senior Ricki Bratcher, also one of the club presidents, said that the title of the club is reflective of what artists often choose to title their pieces.

“It refers to the fact that a lot of artist’s pieces are named ‘Untitled,'” Bratcher said. “We’re the art club, we’re Untitled.”

The club’s executive board encourages students of all majors to join their art club, not just the visual arts and graphic design majors.

“We are trying to link the art majors with the rest of the campus and vice versa, so the art can be more integrated throughout the campus,” Mary Crockett, visual arts junior and secretary of Untitled, said.

The executive board said that the club plans to have another art show next semester that will incorporate more than just the work of Loyola students. Untitled wants to organize a city-wide show and incorporate the work of all students from different New Orleans universities, from both undergraduate and graduate levels.

Visual arts senior Amelia Broussard, the club’s third president, explains that Untitled wants to get more awareness in the Loyola community. She feels that the art school is forgotten about because it is on the Broadway campus.

“One of our goals is to do a community-wide collaborative art project,” Broussard said. “It will be an opportunity for all students to participate.”

Graphic design senior Blair Price said she is thrilled to be a member of Untitled. She said she believes that the club will help the art community here at Loyola.

“The art show was open to anyone who wanted to be a part of it,” said Price. “The club is good for people who aren’t necessarily art majors; they can come and have an outlet with Untitled.”

Raquel Derganz Baker can be reached at [email protected] 

Visual arts sophomore Lien Tran and visual arts junior Matthew Weber take a look at a piece of art featured in “Clusterfunk.” Over 33 pieces were contributed to the art show, most of which was art that Loyola students, both art majors and non-majors, created during the summer months. (SARA FELDMAN/Senior Staff Photographer)