Wolfpack falls short against the Blazers at home

Biology freshman and guard, Corey Gray, goes for a basket at the Jan. 24 game against Belhaven. The ‘Pack lost 73-76. (Photo by Kevin Zansler/The Maroon)

Playing up to the level of competition in the Gulf Coast Atlantic Conference has not been a problem for Loyola’s Men’s Basketball team this season, but it has the teams at the bottom of the conference that they have struggled against.

The Wolfpack, second in conference standings with a 4-2 record, suffered their second straight loss Jan. 24 to another sub .500 conference team in GCAC play, the Belhaven Blazers.

Their previous defeat came courtesy of Spring Hill College who sought their first conference win of the season. On the other hand, three of the four GCAC basketball games Loyola has won have been against top five conference teams: Tougaloo College, Dilliard University and Mobile University, all of whom boasted a 3-1 record before receiving their second loss of the year to the hands of the ‘Pack.

Belhaven dominated Loyola in all major categories of the game including points in the paint, bench scoring, fast-break points, rebounds and shots 70 percent from the field in the second half to defeat the ‘Pack 76-73.

Sean Bennett, business management junior, expressed his disappointment in the loss.

“It’s frustrating because we feel as though we should be beating these teams by ten points” he said, “but we let them back in the game at the end.”

The Wolfpack entered the game making adjustments to the starting lineup placing Robert Manson, marketing senior, at forward, moving Nick Tuszynski, economics junior, to center, and Darrinton Moncrieffe, management sophomore, to the rotation of players coming off the bench. Michael Giorlando, head basketball coach, believes that this move will benefit the team and serve as a motivator for Moncrieffe.

“Robert gives us more offensive options and having Darrinton come off the bench is nice because it gives us a defensive presence,” Giorlando said.

“It’s been a motivator for him in practice to work harder on developing his skills.”

Loyola came out strong in the first half against Belhaven jumping out to a 17-8 lead with a lay up by forward Ryan Brock, business management sophomore, set up by a backdoor screen from guard Torry Beaulieu, history senior, who finished with five points and only one assist.

Bennett’s three point field goal with 2:07 left in the half extended the lead to 36-26, their largest of the contest, eventually ending the half with a seven point Wolfpack lead, 36-29.

As the second half began, Belhaven grabbed the momentum from Loyola scoring 10 consecutive points. The ‘Pack fought their way back into the game and took a four point lead following a Brock field goal with under two minutes to go.

The field goal would be Loyola’s last as Belhaven put together an 8-0 run cruising to their second win in conference play.

Giorlando, disappointed in his team’s breakdown in the last minute of the game, credited Belhaven for its execution down the stretch. “Belhaven fought hard and made big plays late in the game that proved to be the difference,” he said.

Loyola looked to Brock early on in the game and took advantage of the number of plays called for him scoring 15 points in the first 15 minutes of the first half. Brock slowed down in the second half scoring only nine points the rest of the game.

“They started doing a good job of denying me the ball so I wasn’t able to touch the ball as much in the second half,” said Brock of the Belhaven defense.

Bennett came out strong shooting 67 percent from beyond the arc and finished with 21 points. He has been getting his stroke back the last few games after shooting poorly.

“I had been shooting terrible pre-conference and couldn’t figure out why,” Bennett said, “but lately I have been feeling good as the ball leaves my hand.”

According to Giorlando, he believes that patience, good shot selection and well-executed plays have been key to Bennett’s shots falling down.

Craig Malveaux can be reached at [email protected].