BAND PROFILE: J-FRO

Music industry freshman, Josh Frohling, or J-Fro, sits in the Residential Quad. This Atlanta native hopes to be heard, in todays hip-hop scene.
    Erica Colbenson
    Music industry freshman, Josh Frohling, or “J-Fro,” sits in the Residential Quad. This Atlanta native hopes to “be heard,” in today’s hip-hop scene.

Loyola is a constant haven for music all around its historic campus. Take a peek at these rising stars within its own galaxy.

Straight out of Atlanta, music industry studies freshman Josh Frohling, or J-Fro, is determined to make a splash on the music scene.

He’s a freestyle beat box madman whose lyrics have academic influences.

Frohling’s biggest influence was his sister, who talked him out of the saxophone and traded him a pair of drumsticks. Now he’s mastered the drums and has taken on the guitar, bass and the keyboard.

He dabbles in different genres from folk-rock to hip-hop to give his music a special taste and wishes he could make his own genre that includes personal life and philosophy.
    Frohling says he’s tired of the cliché hip-hop like Lil’ Wayne and Snoop, and would rather say something with meaning.

He builds his music around a catchy phrase or experience, but credits much of his work to his hometown.

When asked if he wanted to stay local or make it big, Frohling said, “In order to make it big, you have to make it big locally.

At the same time, once you make it big, you can’t create what you want; the industry controls you. However, in the long run, I just want to be heard.”

Erica Colbenson can be reached at [email protected].