Basketball stars to return in fall

Torry Beaulieu, history senior, shoots a free throw during the Tulane-Loyola game on Nov. 6. Beaulieu will return next season to play for a fifth year with the Wolfpack.
    Dan Helfers/The Maroon

How often does a college player get an extra year to do something they love?

Not likely but when the entire season is canceled due to a major hurricane wiping out the city, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics makes exceptions.

Trenese Smith, her sister Trenell and Torry Beaulieu are seniors this year; however, because they were freshman when Hurricane Katrina came through New Orleans, they were awarded a fifth year of eligibility by the NAIA to play another full season at Loyola since the hurricane forced them to transfer.

The twins, who plan on walking across the stage in May, decided to return for another year and will continue to take more classes in the fall; however, those are preparing the twins to receive their master’s degrees in the future.

Beaulieu, history senior, on the other hand, still has 12 hours left to take. “Coach (Giorlando) told me I would be given a red-shirt year so I would have five years to play so I stretched my classes out,” he said. “This way I could have an easier load, take 12 hours some semesters, and graduate on time.”

The twins believe they are returning for two primary reasons.

“We discussed the possibility with our family and teammates and decided to come back towards the end of the season,” Trenell said. “We went to the national tournament and lost in the first round. We want to be able to go further in the tournament because things didn’t turn out the way we planned. We also just want to win another conference championship too,” she said.

The twins feel Kellie Kennedy, head basketball coach, had a part to play in their decision. “As the season went on, our relationship with coach Kennedy improved and grew each game so we look forward to continue building a relationship with her,” Trenese said.

For Beaulieu, his primary reason is different. “I figured if I don’t go play anywhere professionally, why not play for another year on full scholarship if I can,” he said.

Beaulieu feels with another year of basketball, he may be able to accomplish his goal. “I want to win conference and I want to help turn the men’s basketball program into a winning program,” he said

Like many other students, Trenell and Trenese were displaced from their home and forced to transfer from Loyola University nearly four years ago. At that point, they weren’t sure if their dream of playing college basketball would ever come true.

After only 14 games into the season, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics cancelled the remaining women’s and men’s games on the schedule. 

“Hurricane Katrina was by far the worst thing we have had to experience in our tenure at Loyola. Transitioning from high school ball into college basketball was difficult because we didn’t have a full season,” Trenell said. “We nearly almost quit the team.”

The Smith twins and Beaulieu had no other choice but to search for another college to attend for the spring semester. All three remained in the state and transferred to Louisiana State University.

According to the twins, LSU was a completely unique experience for them.

“LSU was really different from what we were used to. It was huge compared to Loyola. It took us three weeks to find where all of our classes were located because the campus was so big,” said Trenese.

While there, Trenese and Trenell reunited with two of their teammates who also transferred to LSU, Katie Hernandez and Dani Holland. “We worked out and practiced with them and they taught us some drills and things to help us adjust to the college game since we were freshman,” Trenese said.

Although all three admitted they enjoyed attending LSU for a brief amount of time, when the chance to return to Loyola presented itself, none of them could pass up on the opportunity. The bond they shared with their teammates and the coaching staff during the short season, the twins believe, was the primary reason they decided to come back to the Wolfpack.

“I didn’t realize how much of an impact my teammates had on me. Majority of them as well as the coaching staff chose to return so we both decided that coming back was the best choice for us. I enjoyed playing with them and wanted to continue my education at Loyola,” Trenell said.

“For me it was the scholarship Loyola gave me and because the academics here are so excellent,” Beaulieu said. 

Four years later, both the women’s and men’s basketball teams have experienced success. The Lady Wolfpack team has won two Gulf Coast Athletic Conference championships in the past five seasons and appeared in the NAIA National Tournament three times reaching the Elite Eight round in 2008.

The men’s basketball team has improved over the years from a 5-24 overall record in 2006 to a 19-11 record and a second place finish in the conference.

Along with the teams’ success, the twins have collected numerous individual awards and achievements. Trenese became Loyola’s women’s basketball team’s all-time leading scorer surpassing former teammate Kiely Schork, A’08, all in addition to being selected to the NAIA Division I All-American team and named GCAC player of the year three consecutive seasons.

Trenell was also named to the All-American team for her second time and making her third appearance on the All-GCAC team.

Craig Malveaux can be reached at [email protected].