Campus fundraiser attempts to shave away domestic violence

Most fliers around Loyola tell students to get involved in student government, go on a retreat or go see a concert. But one particular flier tells you to stop shaving for a month.

These fliers promote the “No-Shave November” campaign that asks participants, both men and women, to refrain from shaving their faces, legs or armpits for as much of November as they can.
    The program’s purpose is raising awareness about domestic violence. Participants in the “No-Shave November” campaign seek out sponsors who will either pay them for every day they don’t shave or give a flat donation for the month.

Those who participate are encouraged not to shave for the entire month, but those who decide to shave are required to donate $10 extra with the money they raised. The proceeds collected at the end of November are sent to the Crescent House, a local non-profit organization that provides services to victims and families who have experienced domestic violence.

Erik Kjosness, assistant director of Residential Life in Biever Hall, introduced this school-wide campaign to Loyola for the first time this year after hearing about this program from friends who have participated at other universities.

“I think it’s just a great way to use something (that is) stereotypically a male thing like a beard as a way to bring attention to another thing that is a stereotypical male thing unfortunately in domestic violence,” Kjosness said.

“We are able to use one stereotype as a tool to fight the other one.”

Nolan Storey, general studies history freshman and participant, said, “It is a good thing to do; it’s a lot harder for girls than guys to participate in. It requires a certain degree of commitment and instead of just having a fundraiser for charity, they are doing something creative to raise money for it.”

The campaign has already been underway since Nov. 1 and lasts until the end of Nov. 28 total students and faculty from Loyola have signed up to participate, five of them women.
    Clelie Ancelet, English freshman, decided to sign-up for this campaign after she was asked jokingly by some of her guy friends to join.

“It’s typically a thing for men to do but I thought that since it’s raising money for domestic violence victims, it would be a good thing for women to do it also. It’s still kind of a masculine thing not to shave your legs, but I still will participate anyway,” Ancelet said.

Kjosness plans to continue this program at Loyola for years to come. “We have been taking pictures with some of the participants like before and after pictures, hoping to use some of that for advertising for next year so future participants can know what to expect by the end of the month.”

Craig Malveaux can be reached at [email protected].