Black Student Union’s annual gala focused on health issues

The 10th annual Black Student Union Gala banquet focused primarily on raising awareness about the health issues facing the world. The 2008 banquet was held Nov.15 at the Basin St. Station in downtown New Orleans.

Along with raising awareness about this year’s philanthropy, World Health Across the Societies, a $500 scholarship was awarded to the BSU member who’s essay, concerning the issue of health and freedom from the viewpoint of the American citizen, was chosen by a panel of Loyola teachers.

The evening began with a prayer and brief introduction of the BSU executive board members to the adults and students who were in attendance before focusing on the theme of the night, “WHATS on the Red Carpet,” a play on the organization’s name.

Michael Cunningham, professor of psychology and African studies at Tulane University, addressed the audience with his speech touching on the devastating affects of HIV and AIDS as well as poverty in Louisiana and around the world. Cunningham pointed out that 104 people, out of the 166 that died from HIV this year in Louisiana, were under the age of 13.

Black people are among the most affected by this deadly disease, and Cunningham said many are in denial about the effects HIV and AIDS can have on a single race. AIDS remains the leading cause of death among black women between the ages of 25 and 34 and second among black men 35-44 years of age, according to recent reports by http://www.CNN.com.

“Michael Cunningham gave a realistic perspective about the drastic influence of disease in this country,” said Tramaine Breaux, psychology senior. “I hope that those that attended tonight’s gala will apply the information gained to their own lives and encourage others to do the same.”

Edward C. Carlson, chief executive officer of Odyssey House Louisiana Inc., spoke about another major issue, substance abuse. After Hurricane Katrina, the number of substance abuse patients increased to 60 percent forcing hospitals to turn down patients without treatment. Carlson, having witnessed the problem, began talking about his work with the Odyssey House when they created a program in 2005 providing clinical help for substance abuse and behavioral patients.

The final speaker of the night, Robert Chandler Jr., stressed to the audience the importance of protecting themselves and getting tested. The amount of HIV cases over the years has risen as high as 28,323 patients, 11,483 of those resulting in death. Chandler, 14-year HIV survivor himself, shared the story of his battle with a fatal disease that nearly took his life. “I used to take 18 pills every single day in the earlier stages of my treatment,” Chandler said.

“Now 14 years later, I only take 2 pills a day; one in the morning and one at night.”

“I was really touched after he shared his personal life with the audience because he is not only a living testimony, but an example of how we should be informed about issues that are most prevalent in our society,” said Alexcia Plummer, music industries study junior and Gala chairman.

“The stereotype of illness is that you look sickly and you probably will die soon, but Mr. Chandler is living proof and walking testimony of the choices we make throughout our life,” Brittani McClain, sociology and pre-med junior and BSU president, said. “I think for him to tell the audience to protect ourselves, to be cautious and to be smart about the decisions we make, so we don’t make the same mistakes that he did, makes me really appreciate his speech that much more.”

The Gala came to a close as BSU announced that the 2008 recipient of the scholarship was Breaux.

“I am very appreciative toward the Black Student Union for awarding me with the scholarship. Its great that the BSU strives to give back to its members as well as the Loyola community,” she said.

According to Plummer, the event was successful and was able to get its message across.

“Even though the guest list didn’t reach our expectations, gala served its purpose; to raise awareness of current issues in our community.”

Craig Malveaux can be reached at [email protected].