Two new music courses begin in spring semester

The College of Music and Fine Arts will offer two new courses this spring semester: Class Piano IV and Psychology of Music.

“Many times students are so involved in their own degree programs. There are opportunities here in the College of Music and Fine Arts that they can become a part of and enjoy learning something pertaining to music,” said Edward McClellan, the music professor who proposed the courses two years ago.

Class Piano IV, co-proposed and taught by Elizabeth Floyd, music instructor, is an extension of the piano program and designed to stretch students’ talent and teaching skills.

The class will entail exercises that showcase students’ ability to learn and perform literature on the piano, sometimes accompanied by singing, while teaching a class.

“Although I have taken three semesters of piano, I don’t think I would feel comfortable leading a class of preschoolers in a song. If this course will prepare me for that situation, I think that is amazing,” said Vicky Lafitte, music education junior.

Class Piano IV will be required for music education majors and offered as an elective to juniors and seniors. Piano I, Piano II and Piano III are prerequisites, but those with a music background may audition for Floyd.

Psychology of Music, taught by McClellan, will focus on the application of music to realms such as science, sociology, philosophy and psychology, and the prominence of music to culture.

McClellan said that the class will move at a brisk pace while maintaining a hands-on approach. No prerequisite is required; however, enrollment is restricted, and undergraduates will need to meet with McClellan for permission to enroll.

McClellan encourages students of all majors to participate in the course.

“Everyone is musical. No matter who you are—even if you only listen to music and sing along,” he said.

Jennie Gutierrez can be reached at [email protected]