No change to sports complex visitor policy after theft

After a theft in the Loyola University Sports Complex, members are being advised to keep a closer eye on their belongings.

Two iPhones and a wallet were reported stolen from the basketball court in the University Sports Complex on March 15.

According to the Loyola University Police Department, witnesses said the suspects were three males around the ages of 14 or 15.

Later that week, LUPD recovered one of the cell phones and the wallet on South Robinson Street. The suspects were said to be wearing maroon shorts and red and blue shirts.

Ryan Stewart, a biology freshman, said he doesn’t think the surveillance in the sports complex is as good as other places on campus.

“People are playing basketball, and peoples’ stuff is laying everywhere,” Stewart said.

Currently, non-members are required to pay $5 and be accompanied by a member or Loyola student to gain access into the sports complex.

John Gilmore, a chemistry freshman, said that he mostly sees minors in the sports complex during special events.

“I’ve seen kids in the gym for basketball clinics,” Gilmore said.

The Associate Director of Athletics and Wellness Germayne Turner Nash said there is currently no policy regarding minors in the sports complex and that this theft won’t be changing this.

She said it is questionable if not allowing minors into the sports complex without adult supervision would make it more secure.

Andrew Williams, an economics freshman, doesn’t think a policy change regarding minors is necessary.

“I don’t think not allowing minors to go in without an adult would solve anything,” Williams said.

Asia Alvarado can be reached [email protected]