Game coverage may be on crescent city radio

William Nunn, finance sophomore, chats with Station Manager Andrew Poland, political schience sophomore, in the studio Monday during a trial run of Loyola Sport Center with Big Will.
    William Nunn, finance sophomore, chats with Station Manager Andrew Poland, political schience sophomore, in the studio Monday during a trial run of “Loyola Sport Center with Big Will.”

In an effort to be more involved with the school, Crescent City Radio announced they will begin to broadcast Loyola sporting events.

John Crutti, faculty adviser to Crescent City Radio and coordinator of technology for the College of Music and Fine Arts, said, “We decided that we wanted to showcase more local Loyola content and broaden our dedication to Loyola and try to cover more of the events on campus.”

The Crescent City Radio staff confirmed that they have what they need to be able to carry out this task.

According to Crutti, broadcasting the games will be very simple. “All you need to do a live remote these days is a laptop and an Internet connection, and the Rec Plex offers wireless internet connection, and we have the laptops that have the live broadcasting software,” Crutti said.

Crutti believes broadcasting the games will be beneficial to everyone associated with Loyola. “The DJs will have a unique experience of broadcasting live games, and solve problems on the air as they happen, as well as produce them live.”

The benefits of broadcasting these events are not limited solely to the disc jockeys, but to the whole Loyola community,” said Crutti.

“I believe that alumni, current students, parents, people who are part of the Loyola family, who for some reason or another can’t be at the games or maybe they like to keep up with the school, but are no longer in New Orleans, and I think they are going to be the primary user of this kind of content,” Crutti said.

The station is planning on assigning finance sophomore William Nunn the responsibility of broadcasting the first games. Nunn is currently the host of a sports radio show on Crescent City Radio called “Big Will’s Sports Hour.”

Even though Nunn is the host of a sports show, he has never done a live broadcast of a sports event. “It’s a first for me, and we’re about to find out how it goes,” Nunn said.

Nunn is optimistic about this opportunity. “I expect we’re going to have a lot of excitement. I believe we’re going to have a lot of listeners, like people who just couldn’t make it to the game but really want to be there in some sense, but really want to know the play by play, and in the end, I believe this will be a boost to school spirit,” Nunn said.

Nunn believes this gives parents who don’t live in New Orleans an opportunity to still be a part of their child’s participation in the events.

“Maybe it’s (for) parents who live far away and can’t really make it to the games or people who are stuck at work, all they need to do is tune in to Crescent City Radio and be a part of it,” Nunn said.

Although this is still in its planning stages, they hope to start broadcasting the games as soon as possible. “This is still in the planning stages. We have to talk to the people at the Rec Plex and figure out what works out for both of us, because we need a specific day and time,” Crutti said.

All that is needed now is for the University Sports Complex to dictate a specific game they want to broadcast, and Crescent City Radio will be there.

For Brett Simpson, associate athletic director at Loyola, this is exciting news. In an email to the Maroon he wrote, “We are excited about a possible partnership with Crescent City Radio broadcasting Loyola Athletic events.”

He said this effort by Crescent City Radio should help get students excited about the school’s teams. “We’re constantly looking for avenues to expand our fan base and this would obviously aid in that effort.”

Apart from this aiding the school’s athletic program, he believes it benefits the students in mass communication. “This venture is a great way for Loyola students to get real life experience in the communications field.”

Eduardo Gonzalez can be reached at [email protected].