SGA gathers student input on athletic scholarships

The Student Government Association is conducting a survey on student interest in athletic scholarships at Loyola. An SGA booth was scheduled to be open for students to fill out surveys on Thursday. The booth will at the Danna Center and will be accepting surveys again today.Mary Flynn, finance senior and SGA president, said the survey includes questions on whether students favor athletic scholarships, if money to finance those scholarships should come from the university’s operating budget, and if all athletes should get the same amount of aid or if individual coaches should decide.Loyola is the only school in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference with an athletic program financed mostly by student fees and the only one that doesn’t offer athletic scholarships.If there is a strong positive response to the survey, SGA will compile the results and issue a report to the administration, Flynn said.Other upcoming events on SGA’s agenda include budget allocations and elections. Budget packets will be due Feb. 1. Also, spring election dates have been set for March 11 and 12 with run-offs, if necessary, scheduled for March 18 and 19.Flynn said the elections are earlier than usual this year due to spring break dates. She said inauguration will be held near its normal time, with new members sworn into office on April 2.Later this semester, SGA also will hold its annual Homecoming Week and launch its new Web site.Several new events are still in planning stages. Flynn said she is working with the alumni office to combine resources in order to have a Senior Week with activities every day, instead of only having a crawfish boil. Also in the works is Siblings’ Weekend, which will be held in conjunction with Parents’ Weekend and provide activities for both parents and siblings.In addition to planning these activities, SGA will begin advertising for a new Arts and Sciences representative to replace Jose Fanjul, economics and political science sophomore, who was promoted to SGA Congressman at Large after the resignation of Percy Marchand, management sophomore. Flynn said Marchand resigned so that he could devote more time to the business he owns.